About The Role
You'll lead the engineering group responsible for the core of Karir's product—the docs and wiki experience, the editor, our mobile apps, collaboration tools, and more. You'll recruit and manage engineers and engineering managers, drive the core product vision and strategy together with your Product and Design colleagues, and help develop Karir's engineering organization as a whole.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll build and manage a diverse and inclusive team of engineers and engineering managers working on the core Karir product.
- You'll recruit, coach, and develop engineers and (primarily) engineering managers; you'll ensure people in your group are regularly receiving feedback and that they are making rapid progress on personal and professional goals.
- You'll drive the product strategy and vision for the core product group, together with your product management and design counterparts.
- You'll be responsible for maintaining a high quality bar for everything your team ships.
- You'll work with others to shape how Karir's engineering organization operates—you'll help develop our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more.
Skills and Toolset You'll Need to Bring:
- You've managed an engineering organization with more than thirty engineers, multiple engineering teams, and end-to-end responsibility for a user-facing product with substantial surface area.
- You have built, or are committed to building, diverse and inclusive teams; you value empathetic and direct communication and foster environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where people do their best work.
- You have a track record of managing teams that successfully ship high-quality products with refined user experiences, ideally productivity, collaboration or SaaS products.
- You have a sufficiently deep background in product and technology that you can ask the right questions of your team, balance product, tech, and people concerns, and make hard tradeoffs.
Nice to Haves:
- You have managed engineering teams at startups before, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- You have experience rolling out engineering and management practices and processes—e.g., code review, performance reviews, and levels and ladders—where they didn't exist before.
- You've managed teams that are partially (or entirely) remote.
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Karir.
Karir is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Karir considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Karir is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Apply the role